For you to do
- Think about how your child's college education will be paid for.
- Determine your family's affordability threshold.
- Talk with your child about how his or her college education will be paid for and your family's affordability threshold.
- Research the financial aid process.
- Log in to, download, or request a paper version of the FAFSA—you can start working on it anytime after July 1 and file anytime after January 1.
For you to help your student
- Help your child with time management and organization.
- Research colleges that interest your child.
- Schedule and go on college visits with your child.
- Talk with your child about SAT or ACT test prep.
- Make sure your child registers for and takes the the SAT or ACT at least once before winter of senior year.