For you to do
- Start thinking about the FAFSA—you can file it anytime after January 1.
- Establish a relationship with your child's counselor.
- Think about how your child's college education will be paid for.
- Determine your family's affordability threshold.
- Go to any college nights or events offered by your child's school.
- Talk with your child about how his or her college education will be paid for and your family's affordability threshold.
- Research the financial aid process.
For you to help your student
- Make a master calendar of deadlines and due dates.
- Research colleges that interest your child.
- Schedule and go on college visits with your child.
- Talk with your child about SAT or ACT test prep.
- Make sure your child registers and takes the SAT or ACT at least once before the winter of senior year.
- Offer to proofread your child's essays.
- Help your child with time management and organization.
- Make sure your child has a quiet place to study without distraction.