For you to do
- Don't forget about application fees.
- Work on the CSS Profile if any of your child's colleges require it.
- Work on the FAFSA—file it as soon as possible after January 1.
- Research the financial aid process.
- Research loan options.
- Think about how your child's college education will be paid for.
- Determine your family's affordability threshold.
- Talk with your child about how his or her college education will be paid for and your family's affordability threshold.
- Go to any college nights or events your child's school offers.
For you to help your student
- Help your child with time management and organization.
- Make sure your child has a quiet place to study without distraction.
- Make a master calendar of deadlines and due dates.
- Schedule and go on college visits with your child.
- Offer to proofread your child's essays.