Information adapted from adMISSION POSSIBLE®.
If you just got a new counselor at the start of your senior year, you are going to have to make an effort to get acquainted, because you will probably need to ask him or her to write you a letter of recommendation for your college applications.
Here's what you should do:
- Introduce yourself as soon as possible.
- Make an appointment with your counselor and help him or her get to know you.
- Stop by on a regular basis (without being a nuisance) to say hello and become a familiar face.
- Provide your counselor with as much information as you can—resume, anecdotes, your college list, copies of your applications and essays, copies of some of your best work.
- Follow up and check whether he or she needs more information.